Honey Miso Eggplant
A delicious caramelised honey & miso eggplant recipe. Inspired by a traditional Japanese side dish, Nasu Dengaku. Serve with your choice of protein and rice for a flavourful meal, or as a side dish to whatever you fancy.
The sweet & savoury glaze works really well as a tofu marinade as well.
- 1 small eggplant
- 2 tbsp of miso paste (brown)
- 1 tbsp mirin
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- Preheat your oven to 180°C
- Cut your eggplant in half and score to from side to side, and diagonally from top to bottom. Place the flesh side down on a lightly oiled frying pan.
- Leave to fry until lightly golden brown and use tongs to turn over to fry skin side down. Use a heavy pot to squish the eggplant. Cook skin side down until golden.
- In the meantime, combine the miso, mirin, honey and soy sauce in a small bowl and mix.
- Remove the eggplant from the pan and place into a baking dish. Brush over half to three quarters of the miso marinade and ensure all crevices are covered!
- Place eggplant into the preheated oven for 40-45 minutes, brushing over the miso marinade every 20 minutes or so.
- Once the eggplant is golden and soft in texture, remove the oven and give it one last brush over with the miso marinade.
Recipe by Charlotte @TheNuttyGritty