How to build a body positive environment + resource list!
I am so excited to share how to build a body positive environment with you, as it is one of my favourite tools to use with clients as they work their way through their intuitive eating journeys.
As we begin to explore food through a different lens, it starts to become about taste, social connection, listening to our bodies, and that oh so important satisfaction factor. This is exciting!
However, as with all new adventures, this journey can also be a little challenging – like all activities that push us out of our comfort zones.
So, what do we do when we’re a little nervous but determined to proceed all the same?
We add a little safety net, or perhaps more appropriately, some bubble wrap… as we work our way through this new way of thinking.
What is a body positive bubble?
A body positive bubble is a safe space that we create to develop and hone our intuitive eating skills. Whether this is your first time looking at your relationship with food and body, or you have been working away at it for a while, a body positive bubble can support you through the process.
Inside our bubble
On the inside of our bubbles we keep the supports and resources that serve us best during this time.
Which may or may not include for you:
- Supportive Partners, Friends or Family
- Body Positive or Body Neutral Media or Books
- Mindfulness Tools such as meditation, yoga, or journaling
- Supportive Health Care Practitioners: Such as a trusted GP/Psychologist/Dietitian/Other Health Care Professional
- Your Goals and Aspirations (Outside of Food, Body and Shape).
Outside our bubble
On the outside of our bubbles we place anything that is unhelpful, unsupportive or triggering.
Which may or may not include for you:
- Unhelpful or triggering media or books… such as certain instagram pages, facebook groups or magazines.
- Unhelpful or triggering conversations… such as diet talk in the lunch room.
- Unsupportive or triggering exercise environments… such as gyms that encourage 12 week “detox” challenges, or trainers who focus solely on weight or shape.
- Unhelpful or triggering electronic devices… such as apple watches, and fitbits.
- Unsupportive or triggering health professionals… there is NO place for shame or blame.
Although simple, the body positive bubble allows us to assess our environment and build a gentle and protective barrier as we explore new and exciting experiences.
Body Positive Resource List
We have compiled a few of our favourite body positive resources below to help you get started:
BODY POSITIVE BOOK LIST
- Intuitive Eating by Evelyn Tribole & Elyse Resch
- The Intuitive Eating Workbook by Evelyn Tribole & Elyse Resch
- Body Respect by Linda Bacon & Lucy Aphramor
- Body Kindness by Rebecca Scritchfield
- Happy Fat: Taking Up Space in a World that Wants to Shrink You by Sofie Hagen
- Anti-Diet: Reclaim Your Time, Money, Well-being, and Happiness through Intuitive Eating by Christy Harrison
- The F*ck It Diet by Caroline Dooner
- The Body is Not an Apology: The Power of Radical Self-Love by Sonya Renee Taylor
- Just Eat It by Laura Thomas
BODY POSITIVE PODCAST LIST
- Food Psych Podcast with Christy Harrison
- Don’t Salt my Game with Laura Thomas
- Body Love Project with Jessi Haggerty
- Nutrition Matters Podcast with Paige Smathers
- Body Kindness with Rebecca Scritchfield
- Unpacking Weight Science with Fiona Willer
- The Love Food Podcast with Julie Duffy Dillon
- The Body Image Podcast with Corinne Dobbas
- The Mindful Dietitian with Fiona Sutherland
- The F*ck It Diet Podcast with Caroline Dooner
BODY POSITIVE INSTAGRAM ACCOUNTS
- @glowgrouphealth (😉)
We are so excited that you are taking your first steps toward a more peaceful relationship with food and your body. Take the time to read, absorb and digest (…pun intended).